Rohingya Genocide: Verdict in the case of investigating Reuters reporters postponed

International Desk|RNTv:

The verdict in the case of two Reuters journalists charged under the country’s Official State Secrets Act was postponed  until 3 September , a court official telling this morning that judge Ye Lwin is sick and he would decide next week whether to proceed with prosecution or bring an end to long awaited case of two reporters who have been accused of possessing state secrets.

The Insein court was expected on Monday , to deliver its verdict on Wa Lone, 32, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 28. The pair journalists have been detained for nearly 300 days. The two Reuters staff in Yangon, were arrested in December last during their investigation into the Inn Dinn massacre in northern Arakan State of Burma in which security forces and villagers killed 10 Rohingya men and boys.

Media, diplomats, NGO staff and observers at the court had gathered en masse today at hearing to the high-profile trial of two Reuters journalists.The replacement judge Khin Maung Maung, standing in for Ye Lwin, announced the decision telling, ‘the judge Ye Lwin, the judge responsible in this case is in poor health, so I am here to announce that the verdict is postponed to the third (September)’.

The lead prosecutor Kyaw Min Naing told the court in Yangoon on Monday that the Reuters reporters’ trial should continue, alleging that they were proven to have been found in possession of secret government documents when police arrested them last year. But the two eporters testified that police handed them documents at a restaurant in Yangon shortly before arresting them.

Wa Lone one of the two detainees was characteristically optimistic, said to journalists, “we are not afraid or shaken. The truth is on our side. Whatever the situation is, we will not be shaken. They cannot make us weak,”.